We look back on children 2-3 years old to share our tips for your little ones. After advising you on the best travel games for this age group, we’ll talk about biking, to encourage our toddlers to get going with small wheels. When toddlers start to want to be independent on a bike, we drop the draisienne and opt for a first bike with the traditional small wheels, the beginning of autonomy and independence. To choose a bike adapted to the child’s size and use, discover our comparative shopping guide of the best bikes for 2-3 years old, to find the model that will make your little one dream.
🏆 The best children’s bikes for boys from 2 to 3 years old
🏆 The best children’s bikes for girls from 2 to 3 years old
How to choose the size of a child’s bike?
The children’s bike to choose depends on the size of your toddler. To be comfortable in his first pedals, his legs should be the same size as the frame of the bicycle. For our little cherubs from 2-3 years old, you should opt for a 12-inch bike, suitable for children from 80 cm to 100 cm. To be sure of the right size, your little one must be able to put his or her feet on the ground when sitting on the saddle. When he pedals, the knees must not enter the handlebars. When sitting with his feet on the pedals, his legs should be fairly straight.
Of course, if your toddler is taller, or has long legs, you’ll need to go with a 14-inch. If you’re not sure, go to a bike shop to find the most suitable frame height for your budding cyclist.
|Age||2-4 years old||3-5 years||4-6 years old||5-8 years old||7-11 years old||+10 years
|Crotch||30-40 cm||36-44 cm||40-54 cm||52-59 cm||57-66 cm||64-70 cm|
No products found.
Which 12-inch bike to choose?
For your toddler to ride his bike with confidence, make sure you choose a child’s bike that’s right for him and that’s adapted to his size and use. Once you have found the right size for your toddler, usually a 12 inch for 2-3 year olds, there are other criteria to consider before buying:
- The shape of the bike: choose a low frame to make it easier for your toddler to straddle the bike. Opt for a handlebar that is high enough, for a good sitting position and to ensure good vision and comfort during rides.
- Backpedal brake: Even though children’s bikes are equipped with brakes on the handlebars, your toddler’s little ones may not be big enough to use them quickly and easily. A back-pedal braking system will allow it to brake when pedalling backwards and therefore stop more easily.
- Safety and protection: the various mechanisms of the bicycle can be dangerous for children, especially the chains and derailleur. To prevent your little one from slipping his hands in the wrong place, make sure there is a protective cover on the bottom bracket. To avoid stains and mud splashes, a bike with a mudguard is a real plus.
- Type of bike: Think about how your toddler uses the bike. If it’s for short trips in the driveway or around the house, a city bike or road bike will do. If you plan to take it for rides on paths that are not bike paths and you want to try off-roading, you will have to turn to a child’s mountain bike.
- Safety accessories: it is essential and mandatory to wear a bicycle helmet for children under 12 years old, so make sure you have a sturdy bicycle helmet and respect the standards when you buy it. If your toddler is just starting to ride a bike, you can add small wheels if they are not already put on to avoid accidents. If you are afraid of falling, you can put protection on his elbows and knees as a preventive measure. If you have to go out with the bike when it gets dark, you will have to add a small lamp on the bike, if it is not integrated.
- The design: you will find models of all types, customized with super heroes or multiple colors. The model will therefore depend on your toddler’s tastes.
Our comparative table of the best bikes for 2-3 years old
The most ergonomic: 12-inch children’s bike BIKESTAR
Thanks to its expertise in children’s vehicles, the Bikestar brand offers you a sturdy and good quality bike to get your toddler off to a safe start. The saddle and handlebars are adjustable to adapt the height and inclination to your toddler, so that he is comfortably seated. A stand is integrated, to put the bike down simply when your toddler no longer needs the stabilizers. The ball-bearing steering makes steering easier, and the back-pedal adds safety if the brakes are difficult to grip. Ergonomically designed with a low fork for easier frame spanning, the Bikestar bike is a good investment for a first bike with a very good price/performance ratio. It is delivered partially assembled, it takes a little half an hour to make it operational.
- 12 inches
- Weight: 9kg
- Wheel size: 25 cm
- Small wheels included
The BIKESTAR in pictures
Top value for money: KARO 12-inch Vermont children’s bike
At the top of the mid-range, this two-wheeler is of good quality and well equipped to start riding. Your little cyclist will be able to ride safely thanks to its stability and comfort. A bell, a luggage rack and a basket are integrated into the bike, your toddler will be able to go for a ride with all his stuff. Known for its sturdiness and appreciated for its mixed design, this children’s bike has an unbeatable value for money.
No products found.
Karo in pictures
The sportiest: Prometheus children’s bike
With the sporty look of a racing bike, this children’s tricycle offers quality, functionality and design. The bike is a little heavy, but the weight will give your toddler more stability. It is very strong and is fully adjustable at the saddle and grips, to adjust the brakes and adapt the bike to the size of your toddler for an optimal position.
No products found.
The Prometheus in pictures
The most design: Gingersnap 12 inch Bobbin bike
If you’re looking for a modern children’s bike with a sleek and stylish design, the Bobbin Gingersnap is for you. Available in 4 colours, we love its retro look and its small wicker basket that combines practicality and fashion. Solid and very well designed for the small sizes, your toddler will be able to follow you without difficulty in your outings.
Be careful though, if you are not very manual, you will take some time to get the bike up. The assembly instructions are not very clear, which does not make it easy to set up the model.
No products found.
Gingersnap in pictures
The best top of the range: BMX 12 inches Royal Baby
Very popular, this model is available in several sizes and colours. Very robust, it is adjustable to fit your toddler’s size on the saddle and handlebars. The wheels and small wheels are guaranteed to be durable and resistant to all terrains, ideal for small cyclists on an adventure. With its supplied water bottle and bottle holder, your toddler will be able to go for a ride on his little bike. A sporty and durable model that is perfect for children. However, it can be a bit heavy and difficult to handle for bamabins under 3 years old.
No products found.
The Royal Baby in pictures
Best children’s bikes 2-3 years old: why trust us?
Thank you for reading this article! Because we know that it is not always easy to make the best choice without trying, each of our recommendations is the result of a long work of analysis of consumer opinions on flagship and little-known products on the market, of comparison of prices and technical characteristics, but also and above all of tests by a team of men and women constantly renewed in order to keep a real objectivity to help you in your purchasing process.
All the purchasing criteria are scrutinized for the realization of our comparative guides: budget, level of range, functional and practical aspects, design, pack and accessories, safety… All this in order to help you choose the products best suited to your needs, desires and constraints on a daily basis, at the best price!